Thursday 16 October 2014

Geard Cycles 4 Hour

MTB Cycling James Goodsell
Wearing one of Sid's Kits instead of the Cyclingo one. Sufferin' a plenty.

The Geard Cycles 4 Hour is one of Launceston's largest races, attracting a fair proportion of the northern riders, and also a few from down south. The course had just been refurbished which led me to believe it would be nice and smooth sailing from here on. Unfortunately for me and the hardtail, the course had actually been refurbished and aimed more towards a dual-suspension, as a good 6km of the 10km loop felt like rocks. It did not bode well for me in the solo category... 

Luckily though, I got myself into a team at the last minute, with Sam Fox, of whom I competed in the lat 4 Hour with.

MTB Cycling James Goodsell
 Kaine Cannan riding for Rocky Mountain, lookin' fast as always.

The time had come and Sam Fox was off! We had estimated that the fastest laps would be around 30 minutes, but we weren't actually that sure. Anyways, I was busy waiting and chattin' away, and before we knew it, the fastest riders had come in to make the transition! No one was really ready for it, as they came in what was five minutes earlier than expectations. 

MTB Cycling James Goodsell
 Tom Goddard before he flatted.
Firstly came in Tom Goddard, of 4Shaw, and made the switch with young gun Alex Lack. Closely followed (by maybe, you know, one second) was Ben Mather ready to make his switch. Mather had succumbed to bad luck at the start of the race, as they started the race without him, and it was maybe a few minutes before someone told him. He then had to scramble and somehow passed every rider to not only get back into the top few riders, but to take the lead!

After these two, came in Kaine Cannan to make the switch with my future Hellfire Cup partner Dan de Groot. The word on the street from Dan for the brief moment I had to talk to him was that the course sucked big time. He was panting and puffing, sweat pouring down his face, salt and sweat stained on his helmet straps.

I was ready.

After one or two more riders came in Sam Fox lookin' a bit destroyed. Then off I went.

I wasn't ready.


MTB Cycling James Goodsell
 Ben Mather with a fine lead.
The first 3km of the course was smooth and flowing. Amongst the suffering, legs feeling like lead and borderline cardiac arrest panting, it was beautiful. The next 7km made me realise something I have never realised before, the hills were wonderful. Unlike any race I had ever done before, I hated the descents and cherished every moment of the climbs. 

The descents destroyed everything in my body. I struggled to hold onto the bike because of the rocks and bumps and bouncing. It hurt so much I wanted to let go but I couldn't or else I'd crash. The climbs gave me the opportunity to rest my fingers, hands and arms from the pain. It turns out that this seemed to be the story with everyone I talked to. 

MTB Cycling James Goodsell
Alex Lack showin' everyone how it's done.
Anyways, I came in, Fox went out, I went out, he went out, I did, he did, I did, he did and finally I did for the last time. The last laps destroyed everyone a bit which was evident in the lap times. 

Goddard had flatted on the course in the last two or three laps, and had gone from 1st to securing 3rd. Mather and his team mate had won while de Groot and Cannan had taken out 2nd. Fox and I had managed to come out with 7th overall, so we were happy-ish I guess.

MTB Cycling James Goodsell
Partner Sam Fox

No comments:

Post a Comment